Handy Girl Australia (“Handy Girl”, “us”, “we”, “our”) recognises the importance of protecting the privacy of our clients and other third parties who provide their personal information to us.
What personal information we collect
When used in this policy, “personal information” has the meaning given to that term in the Privacy Act. Personal information generally includes any information that can be used to personally identify you.
We may collect the following types of personal information from you:
- residential or business address;
- email address;
- age and date of birth;
- telephone number.
We may also collect information from you that is not personal information because it does not identify you personally. This information is normally retained with your personal information and may include:
- information we require to deliver and service products or services;
- areas on our website that users visit most frequently and the services users access the most;
- your marketing preferences, including the type of marketing materials you wish to receive and the method of delivery (email, direct mail, or other); and
- information you provide to us via our website, application forms, or directly to our employees in relation to our services.
How we collect your personal information
Normally we collect information from you directly, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so.
Collection of your personal information can occur through the following interactions:
- when you access and use our website, including submitting forms and orders
- when you communicate with us directly (by email, telephone, direct mail or any other means); or
- when you respond to our printed and online advertisements.
We may also collect solicited personal information indirectly, through publicly available sources, or through social media sites, like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube.
How we hold your personal information
We may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form.
If you provide information to us electronically we retain this information in our computer systems and databases. This includes computer software programs, internet servers, and hosted internet solutions provided by third parties.
If you provide information to us in hard copy (paper) this information is normally retained in our files and a copy is made to our electronic files.
Using personal information
We collect your personal information so that we can carry out the following actions (“Purpose”):
- to provide you with products and services that you have requested from us;
- to answer your questions and provide you with information or advice;
- carry out administration, marketing, planning, fraud and loss prevention activities, product and service development and research to improve the way Handy Girl and its related bodies corporate and service providers provide products and services to you;
- to develop and expand our operations to better suit our clients’ needs, such as planning for future products, services and events;
- to consider and respond to complaints made by you; or
- to comply with laws or regulations or to comply with any directions given by regulators or authorities.
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about products and services offered by us (including feedback on our products and services) or our partners or suppliers via email, SMS, or regular mail.
If you have indicated a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method wherever practical to do so.
You may opt out of receiving marketing communications at any time by responding via the channel in which you received the marketing communication, or by contacting us (see contact information below). You can unsubscribe from emails by clicking the unsubscribe link on the footer of the email communication you have received.
You may also receive marketing communications by post from our partners and suppliers who provide certain goods and services for us, but this will only occur where you have requested that type of information from us or from a third party.
We do not provide your personal information to any other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
Disclosure of your personal information
Your personal information may be disclosed in connection with any Purpose to any of the following:
- our employees, contractors, service providers or related entities, to the extent reasonably necessary to fulfil our obligations to you.
- our business advisors, including lawyers, auditors and accountants; and
- if required by law, to any person authorised by such law. This may include the police service, ambulance service, or government departments or regulators within Australia in connection with law enforcement activities.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties and service providers located overseas in connection with a Purpose, predominantly to the United States of America, Europe and the Asia Pacific Region, including where:
- we use service providers, cloud computing solutions or data storage located overseas; or
- we need to comply with foreign legal or regulatory requirements.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We use industry standard security measures to safeguard and protect your information. This includes taking reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. When no longer required, personal information is destroyed in a secure manner or deleted.
We may use temporary (session) cookies or permanent cookies when you access our website. This allows us to recognise your browser and track the web pages you have visited.
You can switch off cookies by adjusting the settings on your web browser.
If you send us personal information that we have not requested, or we determine that the personal information you have provided to us is not reasonably necessary or directly related to any of our functions or activities, we may de-identify or delete this information without notifying you to protect your privacy.
We will never knowingly send you electronic messages without your consent. For more information on the Spam Act 2003 (Cth), please visit www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2013C00021.
If we are unable to collect your personal information
If we are unable to collect your personal information, some or all of the following may occur:
- we may be unable to provide services or products to you, to the requested standard or at all;
- we may be unable to communicate with you to provide information about products and services that you have registered or applied for from us, or may intend to register or apply for in the future;
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our marketing communications to suit your preferences; or
- your experience when interacting with us may be delayed or not as efficient as you may expect.
How you may access your information
You may access your personal information held by Handy Girl Australia by making a request to us.
Mail: The Privacy Officer
Handy Girl Australia
8 Burnbank Street
Normally we will provide a record of your personal information to you via your preferred contact method (phone, email or mail), and we will not charge a fee.
If your request is unlawful or may interfere with the privacy of others we may reasonably refuse to provide access to your personal information.
Correction of your personal information
If you would like us to update or amend your personal information, please contact us and we will make the requested amendments.
We may ask you to verify your identity to ensure that personal information we hold is not improperly accessed.
If you feel your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information above setting out the circumstances and reasons for your complaint.
Our team members will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 48 hours, and will normally respond to your request within 7 business days. If your complaint is complicated or requires further investigation our response may take additional time to finalise.
We will respond to you by your preferred contact method if you have indicated one.
The Privacy Officer
Handy Girl Australia
8 Burnbank Street